Connect with us

NEWS

US, Nigeria sign new partnership

Published

on

The United States and Nigeria, in Abuja on Thursday, signed a Declaration of Association to inaugurate a five-year national plan of Feed the Future Nigeria aimed at ensuring food security.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Feed the Future is an initiative of the United States government coordinated by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

The initiative seeks to sustainably reduce global poverty, malnutrition and hunger.

According to Mr. Colin Dreizin, Director of Economic Growth and the Environment of USAID, the Plan serves as a model for inclusive and sustainable economic growth led by agriculture and to strengthen the capacity for recovery between people and the system.

Dreizin added that the Plan will seek to improve domestic nutrition, especially for women and children in eleven states where the program will be implemented.

The states include Adamawa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Gombe, Kaduna, Kebbi, Niger and Yobe.

He explained that the Feed the Future Plan will address the food security challenges in Nigeria and stimulate the country’s economy through a broad partnership with government and private sector stakeholders.

He listed other partners to include universities, research institutes, international organizations, local and international NGOs, civil society, media and donors.

Dreizin revealed that since its inception, the initiative has strengthened efforts to ensure the food security of millions of people by working to address the root causes of poverty and hunger.

However, he said that, despite the progress made, there was still much work to be done. “Food security is a priority for the government of the United States and nurturing the future is our commitment to help the most vulnerable.

“According to the United Nations last year, 113 million people in 53 countries faced a level of food security crisis of acute food insecurity or worse.

“Food security is linked to the crisis and natural disaster and the message of feeding the future focuses on resilience.

“The strategy describes it as a strengthening of the resistance of the communities to the clashes that can lead to hunger and political discontent. “USAID considers this a critical priority and supports each country’s path to self-sufficiency.

“We want to take advantage of the broad and deep experience, including NGOs, donors, the United Nations and the private sector to define what is needed to achieve better results for the communities we serve.

“The launch of the country plan is an important milestone in the relationship between our two countries and this plan integrates Nigeria as part of the global food security strategy,” said Dreizin.

Kathleen FitzGibbon, the US Chargé d’Affaires, said that the declaration of the new partnership would help Nigeria to adopt agriculture as the engine of its economy.

FlitzGibbon said the Plan would also help improve the resilience, nutritional status and health of Nigerians in the rural communities of the eleven states.

“The government of the United States has invested 165 million dollars in agriculture in the last four years. “This new country plan anticipates continuing our investments in Nigeria for the next five years.

“The Country Plan combines new and existing projects and will connect farmers with suppliers, improve services and agricultural extension inputs and stimulate market growth.

“The private sector is critical to this effort with roles and responsibilities and incentives that are clear and transparent.

“They will become the main drivers of economic development to achieve lasting success in making agriculture a solid contributor to Nigeria’s prosperity and Nigeria’s health,” said FlitzGibbon.

He added that the approach adopted by USAID in the plan would help leverage the lessons learned from previous successful interventions, such as the Feed the Future Nigeria Livelihoods activity, which ended in 2018 after five years of implementation.

Some governors and their representatives of the beneficiary states present at the inauguration applauded the initiative and pledged their total commitment to the implementation of the Plan.

The NAN reports that after the inauguration of the Plan, 45 vendors from the private sector organized an exhibition on agro-processing, agro-technology, nutrition services and agricultural consulting.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Buhari approves new appointment

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari approved the appointment of Captain Musa Nuhu as the new Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that It will replace Captain Muthar Usman. Until his appointment, Nuhu was the Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

He is an airline pilot, security expert, leading quality control auditor, and artificial intelligence expert. Nuhu has a master’s degree. Bachelor of Business in Aviation and was in the Presidential Air Fleet as Captain and security officer.

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that He also worked at Nigeria Airways, Aero Contractors and Petrowest, among other organizations.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Declare state of emergency on education – CLO tells Gov Emmanuel

Published

on

By

The Civil Liberties Organization, a chapter of the state of Akwa Ibom, has asked Governor Udom Emmanuel to declare a state of emergency in the state’s education sector.

The president of CLO in the state, Franklyn Isong, said this in his office in Uyo, the state capital while informing journalists as part of activities to commemorate World Teachers’ Day with the theme “Young teachers: the future of the profession.”

He said the need became necessary to stop the serious decomposition of infrastructure and insecurity in state public schools.

Isong criticized the content of the education presentation recently organized by the state government, describing it as “urbanized” and not with the intention of capturing the deep crisis that was shaking the sector in the state.

He said: “It is worrisome and sad that most public schools in some communities in Akwa Ibom state are in ruins, insecure and left to the destiny of the communities without government attention.

“All that is needed is for the Governor to take bold steps by declaring a state of emergency in the education sector to build more classroom blocks in rural and urban schools, provide good infrastructure such as science equipment, libraries, laboratories, as well as review the education curriculum to ensure a better and safe future for children in the state of Akwa Ibom. ”

He thanked the state government for tameing the right to basic education of the Akwa Ibom child in free and compulsory education and urged the state government to do what is necessary.

“The right to basic education of all Nigerian children, as enshrined in the Child Rights Act of 2003 in Article 15 (1), had been tamed under the Akwa Ibom State Child Rights Act, to ensure that every child in the State of Akwa Ibom the right to compulsory, free and qualitative basic education. ”

Isong added that; “In the Fundamental Principles and Directives of State Policy, as set out in Chapter 2, Section 13 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 1999 (as amended), the government has the responsibility to ensure that the education of Nigerian children be free and qualitative. ”

He also urged the government to address the numerous complaints of delays in the payment of pensions and unpaid tips to relatives of late elementary school teachers with delays in 1991 and to provide an improved social assistance package for teachers in public schools throughout the state.

Continue Reading

NEWS

We will attack DSTV, MTN, Shoprite, Stanbic IBTC, others if they don’t leave Nigeria – Yoruba youths

Published

on

By

After the xenophobic attacks against Nigerians and Nigerian companies in South Africa, the Oodua Youth Coalition, OYC, has granted South African companies and businesses seven ultimata to leave Nigeria.

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that the group president, Oluyi Akintade Tayo, the refusal of the interested parties to give in to the notice of resignation will mean death.

While expressing disappointment at the attitude of South Africans against Nigerians living and working in South Africa, particularly what they described as the continued silence of the South African government on development, the group emphasized that during the apartheid era, which was the time Difficult of In the rainbow country, Nigeria was firm with them.

The statement says: “Oodua Youth Coalition (OYC), the most crucial youth group in Nigeria that projects and protects the Yoruba nation in the country, is sad and angry because South Africans, with the support of the country’s authorities, are coordinating the looting and burning of Nigerian businesses and mutilations and murders of our brothers and fathers on earth.

“It is unfortunate that South Africa, which under the apartheid regime had the support and solidarity of the Nigerians and the government while the white supremacists reigned supreme, is now turning to inflict physical and psychological pain and injury to the people whose parents committed great harm.” part of wages and profits and the community to end the apartheid reign.

“The circulating video in which Mr. Bongani Mkongi, the Vice Minister of Police of South Africa, defended the attacks against Nigerians and other Africans confirmed our previous fear and doubts about the guilt of the South African authorities. It is disconcerting that the country whose former leader, the late Nelson Mandela, recognized Nigeria’s efforts to elevate the South African-led government, is expelling other Africans, mostly Nigerians, energetically and with shame.

“We have tolerated the excesses of these South Africans whose businesses have prospered in Nigeria without any physical and psychological attack. For months, the coalition has written several letters to the South African consulate in Nigeria requesting meetings to chart a way forward and find a lasting solution for these unfortunate and barbaric incidents that have still been ignored or have run into a brick wall.

“OYC, after an emergency meeting, has concluded plans to, as a matter of urgency, attack all South African companies and facilities in Nigeria, especially in the southwest region of the country. DSTV, MTN, SHOPRITE, STANBIC IBTC, and other outlets are our goals.

“Therefore, we give these South African companies a maximum of seven days to leave Nigeria or forget them, since our coalition, with other groups and comrades throughout the country, will attack them and burn them to ashes,” reads the notice.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.