Connect with us

NEWS

Traditional healers ruin FG’s approach to insecurity, advocate for “local content” in the fight against crime

Published

on

President, National Union of Herbal Doctors (NUMHP), Prince Saka Oyedeji Mabro has described the Federal Government’s approach to national security as lukewarm and insensitive.

He said the strategy presently adopted to fight insecurity in Nigeria does not reflect ‘local content,’ which in his words continued to militate against efforts towards curbing criminality of all forms.According to him, the heterogeneous nature of Nigeria requires a comprehensive security approach such that brings every stakeholder on board from different strata of the society.

Mabro, in an exclusive interview with GISTOK on Sunday, opined that the most virile method of fighting criminality in an environment like Nigeria is to involve communities concerned in a manner that sets out direction through ‘home-grown’ tactics.

He insisted that successive governments at the federal level in Nigeria have failed to give a certain direction to the federating units on the best approach to tackle insecurity. “As Africans, with rich cultural heritage in all facets of live, especially in the area of protecting communities against internal uprising and external aggression, we ought not to have found ourselves in this sorry state of insecurity.

“No nation can successfully fight insecurity with complete imported method, without putting into consideration her local advantage and strength.

“This government has underutilised the Nigerian local advantage and strength, which had been a veritable instrument of solving several socioeconomic challenges in different communities in pre-colonial Nigeria. “For instance, our local hunters possess the spiritual capacity to locate hideouts of criminals and even command them into submission with ease.

“The political science of bulletproof is still very much intact with our people, in which the government can explore by genuinely engaging local communities in the fight against insurgency, kidnappings and other form of criminality.

READ ALSO: nobody can kidnap me I’ve passed that level, – Gov. Akeredolu voice out

“For instance, how would you expect a police officer from the South East of the country to understand and locate the hideouts of criminals in Osun forest, or Benue.“Security architecture encompasses native knowledge and satisfactory understanding of local terrain. It is high time the Federal Government look inward and change her approach,” Mabro said.

Speaking on the spate of insecurity in Osun State, the senior citizen expressed reservation over the response of the government in the state to the resurgence of criminality.

He wondered what could have gone wrong within a short period in which the state, formerly adjudged as most peaceful in the country, suddenly became volatile.

“I think the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, has a lot of questions to answer. The last government in the state claimed to have spent billions of naira in procuring specific security hardware, including Helicopter for surveillance.

“Where is that hardware that is claimed to have been bought for taxpayers’ money, in the period when the state was in a serious economic situation? Where is the Helicopter?” He asked.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Buhari approves new appointment

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari approved the appointment of Captain Musa Nuhu as the new Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that It will replace Captain Muthar Usman. Until his appointment, Nuhu was the Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

He is an airline pilot, security expert, leading quality control auditor, and artificial intelligence expert. Nuhu has a master’s degree. Bachelor of Business in Aviation and was in the Presidential Air Fleet as Captain and security officer.

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that He also worked at Nigeria Airways, Aero Contractors and Petrowest, among other organizations.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Declare state of emergency on education – CLO tells Gov Emmanuel

Published

on

By

The Civil Liberties Organization, a chapter of the state of Akwa Ibom, has asked Governor Udom Emmanuel to declare a state of emergency in the state’s education sector.

The president of CLO in the state, Franklyn Isong, said this in his office in Uyo, the state capital while informing journalists as part of activities to commemorate World Teachers’ Day with the theme “Young teachers: the future of the profession.”

He said the need became necessary to stop the serious decomposition of infrastructure and insecurity in state public schools.

Isong criticized the content of the education presentation recently organized by the state government, describing it as “urbanized” and not with the intention of capturing the deep crisis that was shaking the sector in the state.

He said: “It is worrisome and sad that most public schools in some communities in Akwa Ibom state are in ruins, insecure and left to the destiny of the communities without government attention.

“All that is needed is for the Governor to take bold steps by declaring a state of emergency in the education sector to build more classroom blocks in rural and urban schools, provide good infrastructure such as science equipment, libraries, laboratories, as well as review the education curriculum to ensure a better and safe future for children in the state of Akwa Ibom. ”

He thanked the state government for tameing the right to basic education of the Akwa Ibom child in free and compulsory education and urged the state government to do what is necessary.

“The right to basic education of all Nigerian children, as enshrined in the Child Rights Act of 2003 in Article 15 (1), had been tamed under the Akwa Ibom State Child Rights Act, to ensure that every child in the State of Akwa Ibom the right to compulsory, free and qualitative basic education. ”

Isong added that; “In the Fundamental Principles and Directives of State Policy, as set out in Chapter 2, Section 13 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 1999 (as amended), the government has the responsibility to ensure that the education of Nigerian children be free and qualitative. ”

He also urged the government to address the numerous complaints of delays in the payment of pensions and unpaid tips to relatives of late elementary school teachers with delays in 1991 and to provide an improved social assistance package for teachers in public schools throughout the state.

Continue Reading

NEWS

We will attack DSTV, MTN, Shoprite, Stanbic IBTC, others if they don’t leave Nigeria – Yoruba youths

Published

on

By

After the xenophobic attacks against Nigerians and Nigerian companies in South Africa, the Oodua Youth Coalition, OYC, has granted South African companies and businesses seven ultimata to leave Nigeria.

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that the group president, Oluyi Akintade Tayo, the refusal of the interested parties to give in to the notice of resignation will mean death.

While expressing disappointment at the attitude of South Africans against Nigerians living and working in South Africa, particularly what they described as the continued silence of the South African government on development, the group emphasized that during the apartheid era, which was the time Difficult of In the rainbow country, Nigeria was firm with them.

The statement says: “Oodua Youth Coalition (OYC), the most crucial youth group in Nigeria that projects and protects the Yoruba nation in the country, is sad and angry because South Africans, with the support of the country’s authorities, are coordinating the looting and burning of Nigerian businesses and mutilations and murders of our brothers and fathers on earth.

“It is unfortunate that South Africa, which under the apartheid regime had the support and solidarity of the Nigerians and the government while the white supremacists reigned supreme, is now turning to inflict physical and psychological pain and injury to the people whose parents committed great harm.” part of wages and profits and the community to end the apartheid reign.

“The circulating video in which Mr. Bongani Mkongi, the Vice Minister of Police of South Africa, defended the attacks against Nigerians and other Africans confirmed our previous fear and doubts about the guilt of the South African authorities. It is disconcerting that the country whose former leader, the late Nelson Mandela, recognized Nigeria’s efforts to elevate the South African-led government, is expelling other Africans, mostly Nigerians, energetically and with shame.

“We have tolerated the excesses of these South Africans whose businesses have prospered in Nigeria without any physical and psychological attack. For months, the coalition has written several letters to the South African consulate in Nigeria requesting meetings to chart a way forward and find a lasting solution for these unfortunate and barbaric incidents that have still been ignored or have run into a brick wall.

“OYC, after an emergency meeting, has concluded plans to, as a matter of urgency, attack all South African companies and facilities in Nigeria, especially in the southwest region of the country. DSTV, MTN, SHOPRITE, STANBIC IBTC, and other outlets are our goals.

“Therefore, we give these South African companies a maximum of seven days to leave Nigeria or forget them, since our coalition, with other groups and comrades throughout the country, will attack them and burn them to ashes,” reads the notice.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.