Connect with us

NEWS

Ajimobi, commissioners ‘stole’ many Oyo govt vehicles – Makinde’s aide, Ilaka raises alarm

Published

on

Chief Bisi Ilaka, the Chief of Staff to Oyo State Governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, Saturday alleged that the immediate past governor of the state, Mr. Abiola Ajimobi, his commissioners and other top government functionaries went away with many government vehicles, especially new ones bought at the end of 2018 and early this year. Ilaka made this revelation while speaking with journalists in Ibadan, the state capital.

He explained that Makinde, his deputy and himself have been riding in their personal vehicles since assumption of office because there are no vehicles to work with. Ilaka, who was asked to confirm report of 11 missing government vehicles, said the actual number of vehicles Ajimobi and his aides went away with, would be ascertained at the conclusion of forensic verification of government assets.

Ilaka said, “We have only been in government for barely a week and a half. But from what we have seen so far, the scale of larceny by the last government is unprecedented. Everybody knows that getting cars is not the problem of the immediate past governor. Why did he take away government vehicles? “If Ajimobi goes to a car showroom and asks to be supplied 11 cars, they will deliver the cars to him because they know they will get paid. We will take the steps we deem necessary on this.

“It is not limited to him. His commissioners have gone away with vehicles same as the heads of parastatals. There are no vehicles there and a lot of these cars were bought by the end of 2018 and early this year. Some were boarded for pittance. “When we came in, we felt that most of us who share the political space in Oyo State are one way or the other brothers. So, we don’t want to go out as if we are witch-hunting anybody. But they are forcing our hand.

“We have a responsibility to the people of the state. We need to protect the resources of the state. If we to replace these vehicles, it will at a cost to the state. Why did they do this? “Even the local government chairmen went away with fridges and TVs. I can’t understand their mindset. They say a fish rots from the head. If the governors had done this, what did we expect the commissioners, chairmen and heads of parastatals would do?

“We are peeling the onion layer by layer and within the next week or two, we will strive to retrieve a lot of these government properties that they have stolen. There is no other word for it. It is theft. And that is the kind of rape inflicted on the state in the last eight years. It is gratuitous.” Ilaka added that some officials in the state Ministry of Justice had told him that only five or six out of the 12 SUVs the past government said it bought for the judiciary were supplied.

He disclosed that the Director of Public Prosecution in the state would be empowered “to chase these people down any foxhole they might get into,” stressing that never again would the state be subjected to this kind of stealing it witnessed in the last eight years. He assured the people of the state that Makinde would protect their commonwealth and utilise same for their welfare as well as the development of the state.

However, all efforts made by GISTOK to get the reaction of Special Adviser on Communication and Strategy to the former governor, Mr. Bolaji Tunji, since Saturday, proved abortive as several calls put through his telephone number were not answered. Also, an SMS sent to Mr. Tunji by GISTOK correspondent, asking him (Tunji) to react to the allegations has not been replied as at the time of filing this report on Sunday.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Buhari approves new appointment

Published

on

By

President Muhammadu Buhari approved the appointment of Captain Musa Nuhu as the new Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that It will replace Captain Muthar Usman. Until his appointment, Nuhu was the Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

He is an airline pilot, security expert, leading quality control auditor, and artificial intelligence expert. Nuhu has a master’s degree. Bachelor of Business in Aviation and was in the Presidential Air Fleet as Captain and security officer.

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that He also worked at Nigeria Airways, Aero Contractors and Petrowest, among other organizations.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Declare state of emergency on education – CLO tells Gov Emmanuel

Published

on

By

The Civil Liberties Organization, a chapter of the state of Akwa Ibom, has asked Governor Udom Emmanuel to declare a state of emergency in the state’s education sector.

The president of CLO in the state, Franklyn Isong, said this in his office in Uyo, the state capital while informing journalists as part of activities to commemorate World Teachers’ Day with the theme “Young teachers: the future of the profession.”

He said the need became necessary to stop the serious decomposition of infrastructure and insecurity in state public schools.

Isong criticized the content of the education presentation recently organized by the state government, describing it as “urbanized” and not with the intention of capturing the deep crisis that was shaking the sector in the state.

He said: “It is worrisome and sad that most public schools in some communities in Akwa Ibom state are in ruins, insecure and left to the destiny of the communities without government attention.

“All that is needed is for the Governor to take bold steps by declaring a state of emergency in the education sector to build more classroom blocks in rural and urban schools, provide good infrastructure such as science equipment, libraries, laboratories, as well as review the education curriculum to ensure a better and safe future for children in the state of Akwa Ibom. ”

He thanked the state government for tameing the right to basic education of the Akwa Ibom child in free and compulsory education and urged the state government to do what is necessary.

“The right to basic education of all Nigerian children, as enshrined in the Child Rights Act of 2003 in Article 15 (1), had been tamed under the Akwa Ibom State Child Rights Act, to ensure that every child in the State of Akwa Ibom the right to compulsory, free and qualitative basic education. ”

Isong added that; “In the Fundamental Principles and Directives of State Policy, as set out in Chapter 2, Section 13 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria of 1999 (as amended), the government has the responsibility to ensure that the education of Nigerian children be free and qualitative. ”

He also urged the government to address the numerous complaints of delays in the payment of pensions and unpaid tips to relatives of late elementary school teachers with delays in 1991 and to provide an improved social assistance package for teachers in public schools throughout the state.

Continue Reading

NEWS

We will attack DSTV, MTN, Shoprite, Stanbic IBTC, others if they don’t leave Nigeria – Yoruba youths

Published

on

By

After the xenophobic attacks against Nigerians and Nigerian companies in South Africa, the Oodua Youth Coalition, OYC, has granted South African companies and businesses seven ultimata to leave Nigeria.

Latest Nigeria newspaper report that the group president, Oluyi Akintade Tayo, the refusal of the interested parties to give in to the notice of resignation will mean death.

While expressing disappointment at the attitude of South Africans against Nigerians living and working in South Africa, particularly what they described as the continued silence of the South African government on development, the group emphasized that during the apartheid era, which was the time Difficult of In the rainbow country, Nigeria was firm with them.

The statement says: “Oodua Youth Coalition (OYC), the most crucial youth group in Nigeria that projects and protects the Yoruba nation in the country, is sad and angry because South Africans, with the support of the country’s authorities, are coordinating the looting and burning of Nigerian businesses and mutilations and murders of our brothers and fathers on earth.

“It is unfortunate that South Africa, which under the apartheid regime had the support and solidarity of the Nigerians and the government while the white supremacists reigned supreme, is now turning to inflict physical and psychological pain and injury to the people whose parents committed great harm.” part of wages and profits and the community to end the apartheid reign.

“The circulating video in which Mr. Bongani Mkongi, the Vice Minister of Police of South Africa, defended the attacks against Nigerians and other Africans confirmed our previous fear and doubts about the guilt of the South African authorities. It is disconcerting that the country whose former leader, the late Nelson Mandela, recognized Nigeria’s efforts to elevate the South African-led government, is expelling other Africans, mostly Nigerians, energetically and with shame.

“We have tolerated the excesses of these South Africans whose businesses have prospered in Nigeria without any physical and psychological attack. For months, the coalition has written several letters to the South African consulate in Nigeria requesting meetings to chart a way forward and find a lasting solution for these unfortunate and barbaric incidents that have still been ignored or have run into a brick wall.

“OYC, after an emergency meeting, has concluded plans to, as a matter of urgency, attack all South African companies and facilities in Nigeria, especially in the southwest region of the country. DSTV, MTN, SHOPRITE, STANBIC IBTC, and other outlets are our goals.

“Therefore, we give these South African companies a maximum of seven days to leave Nigeria or forget them, since our coalition, with other groups and comrades throughout the country, will attack them and burn them to ashes,” reads the notice.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.